Description This window, part of a pair devoted to Saint Vincent of Saragossa, was made for the Lady Chapel at the monastery of Saint-Germain-des-Prés (Paris) and funded by the local lay community and pilgrims. The scenes read from bottom to top: Vincent preaching; Vincent tortured by fire; a modern replacement; Vincent in prison; Vincent's soul ascending into heaven; Vincent's body protected from wolves by a raven; and Vincent's body being cast into the sea. The window commemorates St. Vincent's life and two of his relics-his tunic and his jawbone-given as royal gifts to the monastery.
Provenance [From the Lady Chapel of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Pres, Paris]; Abbey of Saint-Denis, 1840 [as described by Baron François de Guilhermy]; Charles Tollin, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Jacques Seligmann, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, December 26, 1918, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1918
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License