Description This triptych (an altarpiece with three panels) of three Franciscan holy men was probably placed on the high altar of a Franciscan church. Depicted as if bathed in natural light, the architectural setting with the three saints opens up to a serene landscape. Inside the church, this illusionistic opening would have given the painting the character of a divine vision. Rose petals are scattered across the floor. For more information on these panels, please see Federico Zeri's 1976 catalogue no. 186, pp. 275-277.
|8/08/1969||Treatment||coated; examined for condition; examined for exhibition; media consolidation; repaired|
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, prior to 1922 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, before 1922
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License