Description The binding is original. Blind-stamped tanned leather over heavy wooden boards; sewn in six bands; boards ruled with a frame and diaper pattern and stamped with floral tools, as well as lozenge-shaped rosettes, lilies, and quatrefoils; nine (of the original ten) elaborate, pierced metal fittings for stubs of clasps and catches present (clasps themselves lacking); extensively rebacked.
Provenance Made for monastic use, probably Cistercian or Carthusian, in Bohemia (?) finished on February 2, 1507; Unknown monastic owner, 18th century ["Nr. 78" written on front pastedown]; Sale, Sotheby's, London, November 9, 1931, [lot 216, to Marks (?)]; E. Dawson, Los Angeles [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Otto Ege, Cleveland, 1932, by purchase; Sale, Sotheby's London, December 11, 1984, no. 54; Walters Art Museum, 1984, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase, 1984
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License