Description Monogrammed dining services were essential items in wealthy 19th-century households. The diaries of George A. Lucas, a Paris-based art agent, record that he and William were coordinating the ordering of a set of monogrammed Sèvres porcelain in late 1864. More items were ordered in the following years, from Sèvres or directly from Pillivuyt, often by the dozen. The same monogram (the intertwined initials "WTW") appears on the bindings of William's albums of drawings and his napkins, glassware, and stationery. It was also used in decorative elements in the family's townhouse on Mount Vernon Place.
Provenance Commissioned by William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1864. Acquired by the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore.
Inscriptions [Monogram] On inner rim of tray: WTW; [Monogram] On side of each cup: WTW
Credit Lent by the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License