Description This Psalter, dating to the last quarter of the thirteenth century, was made in French Flanders for use in the diocese of Metz. Originally part of a Psalter-Hours, the two parts of the book were separated long ago and bound separately in the eighteenth century. The Hours half has recently been identified by François Avril as belonging to the Bibliothèque nationale de France, where it is n.a. Lat. 915. The Psalter component is heavily decorated, containing historiated initials as well as borders and line fillers full of hybrid creatures and grotesques.
|7/22/2013||Treatment||binding stabilized; examined for digitization; media consolidation|
- The Bible Before Luther. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1992-1993.
- The Psalms of David in the Middle Ages. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1996.
Provenance Diocese of Metz, individual affiliated with Franciscan or Dominican house (?), 1275-1300. 'Deberud[?]t', 17th century . Léon Gruel and Edmond Engelmann, Paris, late 19th-early 20th century ; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1903 ; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.  Name inscribed in lower margins, fols. 68v and 69r  Their bookplate on front pastedown, inscribed "No 134"  Invoice Walters archives
Inscriptions [Inscription] On spine in gilt tooling: PSAUME DE DAVID
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License