Description This graceful, elegant creature is a small-scale copy of one of the four life-size walking horses on the facade of the Basilica of St. Mark in Venice. In the Renaissance, they were thought to have been cast by the great Greek sculptor Lysippus, and, therefore, reduced copies were in great demand. The life-size horses were originally from a "quadriga" (four-horse chariot) of a type installed atop a triumphal arch in ancient Rome. In the 4th century, Emperor Constantine took the horses to his new capital Constantinople (present-day Istanbul, Turkey). In the 1200s, they were stolen by Crusaders, who brought them to Venice.
|3/14/1978||Treatment||cleaned; coated; loss compensation|
|12/14/1987||Examination||examined for condition|
- World of Wonder. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1971-1972.
- The Allure of Bronze. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1995.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1922-1930 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1922-1930
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License