Description Each scene is placed beneath a single trefoil arch that is surmounted by a crocketed gable pierced with a trefoil. Two quatrefoils with protruding cones decorate the wall above. In the left wing the standing Virgin holds the Child and is crowned by an angel. She is flanked by two winged candle-bearing angels. The Crucifixion has an angel descending with the sun and moon. On the left are the Three Marys and on the right John and two Hebrews. The original hinges are missing and have been replaced with modern ones. The originals were long hinges with trefoil ends, probably silver, and have left silhouettes of their forms. Their removal caused several breaks, which have been restored, one at the legs of Christ and another near the crowning angel, whose left arm is restored. There is a replacement section of the lower border of the Virgin plaque which includes her left foot. Bronze rings for hanging are placed at the top. The candles in the angels' hands are restored.
Provenance Jacques Seligmann, Paris [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1923, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1923
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License