Description The Virgin, turned three-quarters to the left, stands in a sort of balcony or loggia, only the upper half of her figure is visible over a parapet. She wears a violet robe and blue mantle; her crowned head is surrounded by a nimbus. Perched on her extended right hand is a green parrot which pecks at the right forefinger of the Child. The Child, clad in a green tunic open in front and exposing the lower half of his body, stands on a fold of the Virgin's mantle spread upon the parapet. The composition is framed between two columns with rings at the middle of their shafts, crocketed capitals and fantastic bases which support a semi-circular arch lined with a double row of cusps and with crockets. Through the arch, behind a purple cloth of honor edged with paillettes of enamel, opens a chapel, its blue groin-vaults studded with stars. The composition is based on an engraving by Martin Schongauer, in which the Virgin turns the page of a book with her right hand, while the Child holds the parrot on his left hand.
|2/21/1961||Treatment||cleaned; coated; loss compensation|
Provenance Seligmann Brothers, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1906, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1906
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License