Description The morse is of quatrefoil form, with two bishops beneath trefoil arches shown against a field of blue enamel with copper flowers with red enamel centers. The bishops flank the Virgin and Child on the central narrow plate which swivels on the connecting pin. The bishops are surrounded by a series of monsters and grotesques in copper reverse against a red ground. Four cut rivets at the corners were used for attachment and most have been capped with cabochon jewels or other ornaments which have been lost.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Collections of P. Soltykoff Sale, Paris, April 8-May 1, 1861, lot 212; F. Spitzer Sale, Paris, 1893, lot 281, pl. IX; Collection of Chalandon, Lyon [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henri Daguerre, Paris, [date of acquisition unknown] by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1927, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1927
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License