Description This crisply carved devotional statue was once completed by a throne and a gold crown for the Virgin. She rests her feet on a small dragon, symbolizing conquered evil, while the Christ Child raises his right hand in a gesture of blessing.
Small accretion of modern material removed mechanically
|3/27/1990||Examination||examined for condition|
|6/03/1999||Technical Report||examined for technical study|
- Caravans of Gold, Fragments in Time: Art, Culture, and Medieval Trans-Saharan Exchange. Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, Northwestern University, Evanston; Aga Khan Museum, Toronto; National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington. 2019-2020.
Provenance Henri Daguerre, Paris; Hector Economos, Paris, before 1913; Jacques Seligmann, Paris; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1922, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1922
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License