Description St. Jerome (ca. 341-420), one of the Fathers of the Church, did penance in the Syrian desert for having focused on classical studies instead of on Christ. He then returned to civilization to combine these passions in his great translation of the Bible from Hebrew and Greek into Latin. This image was deeply inspirational to Christians devoted to the study of the classics. This plaque was to be hung in a private space. Perhaps in the 1600s, the original frame was replaced with the present one, decorated with enameling to imitate turquoise and lapis lazuli. The effect suggests the influence of Turkish metalwork.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License