Description St. James the Greater is represented in profile as if walking to the right. He wears a purple robe, a blue mantle with jeweled edges and a fantastic wide-brimmed hat turned down at the back and up in front, where it is set with a cockle-shell. The forefinger of his raised right hand is elongated (a characteristic of this master). His left hand grasps a long pilgrim's staff from which a triangular wallet is suspended. The framework around the figure is made of two columns supporting an ogee arch with crockets on its extrados and spandrels decorated with small arches. Behind the saint is a cloth of honor and a chapel-like enclosure with a groin-vault and a hanging keystone. The floor is tiled. For comparable figures by the same master see Walters 44.316 and 44.645.
|1/07/1963||Treatment||cleaned; loss compensation|
|2/08/1968||Treatment||loss compensation; coated|
Provenance Raoul Heilbronner, Paris, [date of acquisition unknown] by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1910, by purchase, Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1910
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License