Description Binding is original. Plain alum-tawed leather over oak(?) boards; center fore-edge strap meant to fasten to pin on upper board missing; sewn on three alum-tawed straps; endbands of a single rolled alum-tawed core, worked with similar thread to main sewing; double blind lines on each band; saltire cross formed from two double lines on upper board; five small steel studs once on each board, with a six-petaled impression remaining from each of them.
Provenance Made in Austria in the second half 12th century; Petrus de Anaso, Weyer, ca. 1500, [mode of acquisition unknown, inscription partially erased on front pastedown reading, "Anno etc. 30. Liber dom.[?] Petri de Anaso dominum socio in hospitai Wienn[ensi]"]; Johannus Hofulner(?) [date and mode of acquisition unknown] [sixteenth-century inscription on front pastedown reading, "Hic libellus est Joh[annis] hofulner[?] de Wey[er]"]; Abbey of Seitentetten, by early 20th century, [mode of acquisition unknown, seen by Hanns Swarzenski there]; Jacques Rosenthal, by 1928, cat. 90, no. 139 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Leo S. Olschki, after 1928 [mode of acquisition unknown, bookplate on front pastedown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, before 1931, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License