Description This page from Psalm 80 has an illuminated letter E. Inside the letter, David is playing the bells. At the bottom of the page below the text, Saint Francis is preaching to animals and friar Leo sits behind him. The image of St. Francis is heavily worn, which may be evidence of devotional touching by the manuscript's owner. This Psalter, with an additional Office of the Dead, was created in the late thirteenth century in northeastern France. A large quantity of Franciscan saints in the calendar and litany, as well as marginal imagery of them, suggests that the original owner had a strong affinity for that order. The manuscript was likely begun for one patron but finished for another, given a change in scribal and artistic hands and the addition of heraldry from Psalm 109 onward. Arms for the Fieschi family, as well as a birth notice in the calendar, identify the manuscript's first owner as Leonardo dei Fieschi, a Genoese nobleman (d. 1331). Among a multitude of drolleries, the manuscript contains a number of unusual marginal vignettes depicting SS. Francis, Clare, and Elisabeth of Hungary.
- Jewish Heroes in Christian Books. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1986.
- Seeing Music in Medieval Manuscripts. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014.
- The Saint Francis Missal. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2020.
Provenance Acquired by Leonardo dei Fieschi (d. 1331), Genoa, ca. 1290-1331. Acquired by Léon or Paul Gruel, Paris, ca. 1900-1910; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License